Friday, February 4, 2011

Childhood, Night Hood, and a junk.


So yeah... I made a fanart of my childhood show. Yes, I do sound rather hesitating. Making fanart of your childhood show? What's the big deal? Yeah. I have an emotion-screwing history with this particular show, in a fun experience.

It's an old show actually, French-Canadian, around 1996, but aired in one of Indonesian local channel around 1998. I was 8. Story short; it tells us about the famous gentleman thief Arsene Lupin, which expectedly (totally) different from the original Lupin. Some fans think that this Lupin on the show is the original's descendant or some sort. Actually quite fitting since the set is on late 20s or early 30s.

Just see how epic the intro is;



Wait, can't help the reaction:


How I came back to this show... It wasn't long ago, around August 2010, I remembered watching this show. I remembered the general info about what's in the show but didn't remember the specific bits I watched (and the title). What I also remembered was I seemed to have a certain grudge to the show to the point where child me was unable to handle any person named "Lupin" (I swear it was that bad, I flipped HP: The Prison of Azkaban really carefully on the very tip of the pages just not to make contact with "that certain name"-- no, not Voldermort!). I also remembered that this Lupin here had this love interest which for some reason that I couldn't remember, I despised their love interaction so much. I mean, I saw so many pairings, have my own, shipped here and there, but I can't find any single interaction on other pairings that made me disturbed like this particular one.

Short, curious what exactly made me disturbed  when I was a child I just went with my gut and look for it on the internet. Luckily someone posted in on youtube. THE WHOLE SEASON, and in careless manner (and since I didn't remember what disturbed me so there was no point to be disturbed anymore) I watched the whole thing.

Despite the lack of facial expressions, it was generally a good show. A great one to be exact. It was nicely written, smart, makes us think, and take us down to the story. And since the plot sets on early 30s, they made the design with art deco feel. For the present me, there is no point for me to hate this show. It's awesome! It's like Batman, but less dark and more charming. And that Lupin is a total embodiment of fanservice! 8D

But apparently there is something which definitely feels off. Judging from the dialogues, plot, characterization and all, I bet this show is aimed to children in their late childhood to early teens, but not exceptionally only for those age group. I do feel there are some elements that hint; their parents or older siblings can watch it.

Wait. 

Parental bonus! Hoo boy, this show has quite of a thing that only adults can understand. This delivers me to total jawdrop.

I mean.... it aired... on a children network, on children afternoon time slot...

Here is a scene on a last part of an episode. So the villain grunts since his failure is published within the newspaper....

...And the newspaper is thrown to the sofa, only God knows what happens next.

Whatever. Back to our point, most part of the plot is actually need some analysis, as in the thief here tries to outwit his nemesis and the detectives who chase him but that--- That---

Well, villains being evil and do 'evil things' shouldn't be a problem but we have some things going on the heroes as well...

So yeah... Apparently this what made me despise dear Lupin when I was a kid. So he has this love interest, she's a reporter and both are helping one another on every episode and such (which resulted the reporter gets kidnap often and Lupin ends up saving her). Rescue romance aside, they have this unresolved sexual tension that is going in a child-unfriendly way.

Not to mention that this Lupin character is charming, cool, charismatic, mysterious in his own way, blah blah blah, and other tropes of fanservice apparently fueled into him which I assume there is no way any girls could resist. And the reporter girl is rather independent, has some tsundere moments (though not generally one), fully grown woman, and has her own quirks.

Once two characters like this interested in one another you know what happens.

This happens in every action movie, or noir genre, or anything that's generally marketed for 17 and above. Or at least PG13. It's actually pretty common. Think of it as an adult, I don't see any problem with that. In fact, it's intriguing, it makes the story flows, and we eagerly always wanna know what happens next.

But not for child me, apparently. I would assume that apparently the child me is actually interested in how these adults deliver their message to one another, I knew that there was this tingly "fangirly" feeling seeing them desire one another. But there wasn't enough information as in there was some concept I hadn't understand at the time resulting in a form what we call a "childish tsundere". So I ended up being tsundere on the show, with more apparent tsuns and transparent-subconcious dere.

And back then, knew I hate that particular element on the show, I still had to watch it every single episode.

I still feel that sometimes. It wasn't a bad thing, it's memorable and adorable. It's fangirlish and worth to keep. Aah, childhood days. Being naive against a sexual tension... I think I'm not the only child that have been screwed up with adult bits on a childhood show here. I mean, look at other cartoons. I think some children were driven mad by Batman the Animated Series despite how awesome that film is. Or perhaps cartoon nowadays? The adult material is even worse! I don't wanna start on discussing about a boy who lives with his adoptive-whale-mother and a poor-hygiene self-claimed adventurer. (despite that, I really like the show by the way)

But seriously, I am still bothered with the villains doing stuff on the scene I told you earlier. Ggguhhh--- It's blatantly inappropriate and I really hate that villainess! She's like an old lady with breast implants and poodle hair, it's sorta annoying to look at. Not to mention she's skeleton-y thin... It's just weird seeing her, really.

And today, this become one of my (yet again, rare) favorite fandom with worthy OTP to keep.

And oh! The fanart!


It's kinda hard to draw since I still have that trace of tsundereness, but the picture came up pretty nice!

I swear I can't stop squeeing making it...

Of course I highly recommend the show! It's really worth watching on spare times. This show needs moar luuuuuv~ <3

I'll update more, and I have something in mind with Battle Force 5... A Battle Force 5 Otome Game. I will discuss that on my next post.

Followers

 

MiuMiu World of Manzo Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez