Friday, September 17, 2010

YUMMY WEEKEND: Mooncake Memories




Mid-autumn festival is coming. Mooncakes everywhere... It's dreamy. And intriguing because you get to see bazaars of mooncakes everywhere, you can do yourself a mooncake adventure. And it's amazingly expensive as well.


Well, I'm not going to discuss the mid-autumn festival history though. I'm going to tell you how much I love mooncakes. And actually it's pretty a nice desert to have, casually.

Basically, my dad loves mooncake. We don't have chinese inheritance though, but chinese cuisine is quite common in Indonesia. You don't have to go to a chinatown to get chinese ingredients, food, and anything related to its cuisine. You can get it in any supermarket. I think it's because the culture itself, Indonesia have good share of Chinese inheritance.

Soooo.... since we're not Chinese, apparently we don't know how special mooncake really is orz. So everytime Mom went to the supermarket, she would always buy mooncake for Dad. And I love that cake as much as Dad does. We never buy the authentic ones, we buy the supermarket-common-version of mooncake. It's not as soft and smooth like the real one but it was okay. Usually one package comes with 4 pieces hand-grabbed size of mooncakes. Mom will have half, I will have one, the rest is Dad's.

It's soft and rich in paste. I think the paste is the essence of it. Authentic ones comes with egg yolk in the center. But I prefer whole paste, for me the egg yolk is too salty.

When it comes to mid-autumn, mooncakes are so varied, they have different brands, different tastes, and all the stuff. Like I told you, wherever you walk, streets are filled with it.

So one thing that comes to my mind when mid-autumn is here, I always wish Dad was here for all of these mooncakes.

Followers

 

MiuMiu World of Manzo Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez